Pages

Thursday, March 30, 2017

Diet...It's Just a Four Letter Word

Diet is a shitty word isn't it?


Image result for dieting makes me crazy quotes

Hee hee. 

I mean as soon as I even think about that word I get all anxious. My mind starts to go a million miles an hour about what I can eat, what I can't eat, how much, how little. Calories, points, carbs, fat, macros!!! You know that frickin' roller coaster.

However, we as a society have made the word dirty. The definition of diet goes a little something like this: the kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats.

I don't know when exactly this started to happen but I'm guessing somewhere in the 70's and people have just gotten fatter and fatter since then. But the dieting industry has gotten richer and richer. 

I've been trying to lose weight since I was probably 16...when I weighed a whopping 125 lbs. Now, to some of you out there maybe that screams fat to you, but I've give anything to go back to that girl and tell her she is okay. She is not fat. 

Since then I've tried pretty much every diet known to man. I've lost weight on most of them but have never been able to keep it off because...I don't keep it up! What?! You can't go back to pizza, pop and cookies everyday? Well, fuck that then.

And Viola...here I am.

I vowed in this post to never get back on that roller coaster and I haven't. However, I am doing something. I have to do something. I'm 46 years old and overweight. I have back issues and a 10 year old son who needs me to be healthy in body and mind. Not dieting doesn't give me the green light to stuffing my face with whatever the hell I feel like, drinking gallons of pop and not moving my ass off the couch. That's not healthy for anyone, even those skinny girls I'd love to strangle! I kid ;)

However, this is different from what I've done in the past. I decided to combine a few approaches, after doing a little research. Two things I know work, but also two things I've never been successful with individually.

Tracking Calories and Carbs.
  
I've tried low carb too many times to count and I can NEVER stick with it because well...I NEED CARBS!

Image result for maybe she's crazy maybe she needs carbs

I absolutely feel like this. It's a dangerous situation for everyone!

So, needless to say that approach doesn't work for me. Or for anyone who wants to talk to me. Ha!

Then there is calorie counting. I do a smidgen better with this but not fabulous, obviously, or we wouldn't be having this conversation.

The problem with counting calories is I tend to gravitate towards foods that aren't real. You know, lots of frozen meals and low- calorie prepackaged snacks. This type of eating leaves me extremely hungry and unsatisfied. Not to mention this kind of food is usually full of salt, which... is not my friend.

Eating well and finding what works for your body is absolutely not one size fits all. What works for me may not work for you. Take my wife for example. She hates to keep track of anything and that is why she does so well with low carb. Avoid carbs. That's it. Some people thrive on measuring, counting and figuring every calorie, point or macro.

I'm somewhere in the middle. I'm a Gemini.

Realizing all of this about myself and accepting it is what has brought me to where I am right now. Tracking both.

It's definitely a balancing act because lots of low carb or no carb foods can be high in calories and on the other end of the tightrope, foods that are low calorie can be FULL of sugar! It's a bit of game and there is a learning curve but so far it is working and I don't feel so CRAZY.


Right now I am trying to stay around 1500 calories and 100 grams of carbs. I don't worry too much about fat...right now. We'll see what happens as time goes on. 

I'm on Day 4 which may not sound like a long time, but lately I've been done by Day 3 so I feel pretty good about this accomplishment. I also turned down a donut yesterday...haven't done that in months! 

I'll keep you posted in the upcoming weeks. 

Peace! 

~Ashli

No comments:

Post a Comment